What you need:
- 1 pkg. active dry yeast
- 2 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. brown sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 cup warm milk
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups flour
- 1/2 cup finely chopped ham
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 cups hot water
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted, if desired
- Coarse salt
- Combine yeast, 1 tsp. brown sugar, and warm water in a stand mixer. Let proof for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Stir together 2 Tbsp. brown sugar with warm milk until it dissolves.
milk mixture plus 2 1/2 cups flour into stand mixer with yeast and stir
until a soft dough forms. Add as much of the remaining flour as needed.
Knead for a few minutes.
- Cover bowl and let rise for about 2 hours.
dough into 4 pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll one piece to
12x4 inch rectangle (long side facing you - like a hot dog) and press
1/4 of the ham and 1/4 of the the cheese into one side of the dough.
Wrap up the filling and cut into 12 pieces.
- Place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Repeat with other 3 pieces of dough.
- Let rest and rise for 30 minutes.
- Dissolve baking soda in hot water and brush over top of pretzel bites. If not using butter, sprinkle with salt now.
- Bake about 15 minutes at 400*.
- Brush with melted butter, if desired, then sprinkle with salt (unless you did it before).
Recipe from Pennies on a Platter