What you need:
- 1 1/2 cups bananas, mashed, ripe
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups icing sugar (powdered sugar)
- Preheat oven to 275. Grease and flour a 9x13-inch pan. In a small bowl,
mix mashed banana with lemon juice (helps to slow oxidation); set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream 3/4 cup butter and 2 1/8 cups sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, then stir in 2 tsp. vanilla.
- Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk.
- Stir in banana mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for one hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and place directly into the freezer for 45 minutes. This will make the cake very moist.
- For the frosting, cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth. Beat in 1 tsp. vanilla.
- Add icing sugar and beat on low speed until combined, then on high speed until frosting is smooth.
- Spread on cooled cake.
- Sprinkle chopped walnuts over top of frosting, if desired. :]
Recipe Source: Food.com