News‎ > ‎

First aid course proves a life-saver for bowler

posted 13 Jun 2018, 02:12 by Stamford Indoor Bowls
The value of the first aid course held at Stamford IBC in May was brought into sharp focus this week when one of the members who attended, carried out what proved to be life-saving resuscitation (CPR) on a casualty at the adjoining Stamford Town outdoor bowls club.

Following a match in the local league, Stamford IBC director John Holroyd and his daughter Helen were leaving when they spotted a member of the opposition returning, apparently having mislaid a wallet. 

They returned to investigate and found him collapsed with a suspected heart attack.

While Helen called an ambulance and rushed to the nearby Bridge Club in search of medical assistance -  a cry of 'is there a doctor in the house' produced the required result - her father performed the resuscitation technique he had learned just a month earlier.

Neither the doctor nor the ambulance could find a pulse initially but after using a defibrillator the stricken bowler showed signs of recovery and was taken to hospital.

Commented fellow director and Stamford Town chairman Len Marshall: "He was a lucky man that John and Helen were on hand. It is also a great advocacy for the First Aid Course which John attended."

Comments