'Jabo' - The kitty that was stuck Nearby

(late February 2016)

Executive Summary

"Jabo" was stuck 15 ft up a tree for two nights in Starkvegas, MS before I was able to rescue him. The unknown kitty was not high, but was very scared, and was very happy to see me. UPDATE: The owner was located and the kitty's name is Jabo.


It was a Thursday night, and the Kat Fone yowled, showing a local number. It was Sharon, and an unknown kitty had been stuck since the previous night in a tree between her house and the neighbor's house (the kitty's name was discovered later to be "Jabo", I called him "Mr. Lincoln" before this). Even though the kitty was not that high, I did not want to try a rescue until it was daylight, so I told Sharon that I would check with her the next morning. About 8:00 am the next day, Sharon told me the kitty was still in the tree, so I said that I would be right over. It is not often that I get to rescue kitties in Starkvegas, and I really appreciated that that it would only take 15 minutes to drive to the kitty's tree.

Sharon was at work, so my plan was to rescue the kitty and then take the lost moggie to the Oktibbeha County Humane Society to be scanned for a microchip. When I exited the truck, I immediately heard some sad yowls, which led me to Jabo's tree (so named because of the street address). Jabo was perched on a spindly limb about 15 feet up, and looked miserable. I lugged my gear to the tree, and soon had a climbing line installed. Dominic and Trish, the next door neighbors, joined me during the setup. Dominic said that he had tried a ladder rescue the previous day, but it was just a bit too short. In no time I was at height with Mr. Lincoln, and he gratefully let me scritch his ears a bit before I put him in the bag. Trish and Dominic helped me to transfer Mr. Lincoln to a cat carrier, and assisted in packing up the truck. Trish said that she and Sharon would send an email out to the neighborhood in effort to find the owner. Mr. Lincoln was clearly somebody's pet as he was wearing a stylish purple flea collar. At the OCHS, Mr. Rich M. of Starkville Animal control scanned Mr. Lincoln for a microchip, but none was found. Ms. Christy C., the shelter manager, took charge of Mr. Lincoln and he was soon chillaxing with food and water. Signs were placed around the neighborhood the next day, and hopefully either Mr. Lincoln's owner will appear or he will get adopted into a new forever home. Update: A few days later, I received a call from the owner who saw one of my signs, and she told me that the kitty's name was "Jabo". The owner reclaimed Jabo from the Oktibbeha County Humane Society, who had taken very good care of Jabo in the meantime.