Reasons That Jesus Was Not God
by Br. Mikael Lyngvig (Denmark)
18 Reasons That Jesus Was Not God
Br. Mikael Lyngvig (Denmark)
1) When Jesus had been baptized, he immediately rose from the water, and a voice was heard from the heavens, which said: "This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased." Who is who? God speaks from heaven to God standing on the ground?
2) God cannot be tempted by evil (James 1:13). Jesus was tempted by evil (Matt. 4:1-11). If Jesus was God, how could Jesus be tempted by evil?
3) Jesus worshipped God (John 20:17, Mark. 12:29-30, Matt. 4:10). How can Jesus worship God if Jesus is himself God? Does God worship Himself?
4) Jesus yelled, when hanging on the cross: "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" (Matt. 27:46). If Jesus was God, then God had forsaken God! How can that be? How can God forsake God?
5) God cannot die! (1 Tim. 6:16). Jesus died. If Jesus was God, then how could he die?
6) Who ran the universe during the three days that Jesus was dead and lay dead in the grave? Was God dead for three days? Did the universe vanish for three days?
7) God raised Jesus from the dead (Acts 5:30). How could God raise Himself when He was dead?
8) Jesus is a messenger between God and Man (1 Tim. 2:5). How can a messenger (middle man) be the same being, he is the messenger for?
9) Jesus says "But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only." (Matt. 24:36). If Jesus is God, then how come Jesus does not know what God knows?
10) If Jesus is God, then how can Jesus stand next to God? (Acts 7:56)
11) If Jesus is God, then who was he praying to in Gethsemane? (Matt. 26:39)
12) How can Jesus receive "honour and glory" from God when he is himself God? (2 Pet. 1:17)
13) The Bible says about Jesus: "Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;" (Heb. 5:8) Why would God need to learn obedience?
14) Jesus "sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high" (Heb. 1:3). How can God sit down with Himself?
15) Jesus will subject himself to God (1 Cor. 15:28). How can God subject Himself to God?
16) How could Jesus, if he was God, go to God? (John 14:28)
17) How can Jesus, who is "sent" by God, be the same person as the one that sends? (John 3:34; 17:3)
18) How could Jesus ascend to God when he was himself God? (John 20:17)
Find in your Bible Reasons why Jesus is not God.
“Having been baptized, and rising from the water, immediately, look! the skies were opened up. Jesus saw God’s Pneuma descending as if a dove lighting upon him. Look! a Voice out of the Sky, saying, “This is my beloved Son in whom I am well pleased.”” (Mt 3:16-17 MHM)
“Let no one say when being tempted, “I am being tempted by God!” For God never tempts with evil things, nor is He Himself ever tempted.” (Jas 1:13 MHM)
“Then Jesus was led up into the wilderness by the Pneuma to be tempted by the Devil. After fasting for forty days and forty nights he felt hungry. And the Tempter approached Jesus and said to him, “If you are a son of The God tell these stones to become loaves of bread.” But, Jesus replied and said to the Devil: “It has been written by Moses: ‘Not on bread alone will humans live, but upon every utterance coming forth through God’s Mouth.’” Then the Devil took Jesus along into the Holy City and stationed him on the Temple battlement and the Devil said to him, “If you are a son of The God hurl yourself down, for it has been written in Psalms, ‘He will give His angels charge regarding you and upon their hands they will lift you so you will never strike your foot upon a stone.’” Jesus replied to the Devil: “Again it is written, ‘You shall not put YHWH your God to the test.’” Again the Devil took Jesus along to an unusually high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory. And the Devil said to Jesus, “All this I will give you if you ever prostrate yourself and bow before me, kissing my feet.” Then Jesus said to the Devil, “Be on your way, Satan, for it has been written, ‘You shall worship YHWH your God and to Him only shall you render divine service.’” With that the Devil left Jesus, and, look! angels approached Jesus and ministered to him.” (Mt 4:1-11 MHM)
“Jesus answered him: “The first of all the commandments is: ‘Listen, Israel, YHWH your God is One, and you shall love YHWH your God from your complete heart, your complete soul, your complete understanding, and your complete strength.’” (Mr 12:29-30 MHM)
“About three in the afternoon Jesus screamed in a loud voice, “Eli, eli, lama sabachthani?” (or, “‘My God, my God, why have You abandoned me?’”)” (Mt 27:46 MHM)
“the only one having immortality who dwells in unapproachable Light, whom no one among humans has seen nor is able to see–to whom be honor and endless power. Amen!” (1Ti 6:16 MHM)
“The God of our forefathers raised up Jesus whom you killed and hung on a tree.” (Ac 5:30 MHM)
“For, there is one God! Also one mediator of humans–a human, Christ Jesus.” (1Ti 2:5 MHM)
““But, about that day and hour no one knows neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son but only the Father.” (Mt 24:36 MHM)
“Then, Stephen said: “Behold, I see the Celestialum opened and the Son of Humankind standing at the right hand of The God!”” (Ac 7:56 MHM)
“Now Jesus went forward a little way and fell forward on his face, praying: “My Father! If it is possible allow this cup to pass me by. But not as I wish, as You will!”” (Mt 26:39 MHM)
“For he had received from God the Father honor and glory when a Voice occurred to him by the Magnificent Glory: “This is My Son, My Beloved, of whom I have thought well.”” (2Pe 1:17 MHM)
“With strong outcries and tears borne toward God he was favorably heard, and as a Son, he learned obedience from those things he suffered.” (Heb 5:8 MHM)
“The Son is the very reflection of His glory and the very imprint of His substance. The Son upholds the Universe by his powerful declaration. After the Son made a cleansing of the sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in exalted places.” (Heb 1:3 MHM)
“But, whenever everything will also be subjected to the Son, he himself will subject himself to the One who subjected everything to him, so that The God may be everything to everyone.” (1Co 15:28 MHM)
“You apostles heard that I said to you, ‘I am departing and I am returning to you apostles.’ If you loved me you would certainly rejoice, because I am going toward the Father, because the Father is greater than me.” (Joh 14:28 MHM)
“For the One The God sent forth is speaking the Sayings of The God, because He does not give the Pneuma by measure.” (Joh 3:34 MHM)
“But, this is the endless Life–that they may continue to know You, the only True God, and the One whom You sent forth, Jesus Christ.” (Joh 17:3 MHM)
“Jesus said to her: “Do not cling to me! For I have not yet ascended toward the Father. Go to my disciples and tell them, ‘I am ascending toward my Father and your Father, and my God and your God’.”” (Joh 20:17 MHM)
Giving preference to the Word of God instead of the word of people and traditions.