HMS Cambria

SS Cambria (1,862 gross tons) was built in 1897 by William Denny and Brothers of Dumbarton, Scotland for the London and North Western Railway for their Holyhead to Dublin service. Along with her sister ships, Anglia and Scotia and Hibernia (HMS Tara), she was requisitioned by the Admiralty as an Armed Boarding Steamer in 1914 and became a hospital ship after 21 July 1915.

She continued as a hospital ship on the Dover-France service until May 1917, when she was transferred to Holyhead to act as a hospital carrier between that port and Dublin. In December 1917 she was converted into an armed transport and resumed service on the Dover-France crossing. In February 1918 she was transferred to Holyhead-Dublin service as a troop transport.

She survived the war and in 1919 was renamed SS Arvonia. She was eventually scrapped in 1925.


The Cambria was not known to have been affected by enemy action. Those listed below probably died of causes unconnected with the war.