Owen Jones, Royal Welsh Fusiliers

Private, 265723 (formally 2207), 'D' Company, 1/6th Battalion, Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Died of wounds, aged 25, on 10 November 1917 in Egypt.

The Battalion was formed in August 1914 in Caernarvon as part of the North Wales Brigade, Welsh Division. On 13 May 1915 the formation became the 158th Brigade, 53rd (Welsh) Division. It sailed on 19 July 1915 for Gallipoli, going via Imbros and disembarking at Suvla Bay on 9 August 1915. In December 1915 the Division was evacuated from Gallipoli and moved to Egypt. On 3 August 1918 the Battalion amalgamated with 1/5th Battalion to form the 5/6th Battalion.

He enlisted into the Territorials at Holyhead on 4 June 1913 and was embodied on the outbreak of war. He served in the UK until 13 July 1915. His Attestation papers record that he was previously employed as a Labourer for the City of Dublin Steam Packet Company. He is also known to have been employed for 7 years as a Shop Assistant at British Stores, Holyhead. He arrived at the Balkans Theatre of War on 8 August 1915 and landed at Sulva Bay, Gallipoli the following day. He was one of many who succumbed to Dysentry and was admitted into the 2 Welsh Field Ambulance on 29 September 1915. On 4 October he was transferred to the 21st General Hospital at Alexandria until 30 October when he was invalided back to the UK on HMHS Ebani. On recovery he rejoined his battalion on 12 December 1916 at the Egyptian Campaign. 

On 26 March 1917 he received gunshot wounds to his left leg participating in the attack on Ali El Muntar, part of the First Battle of Gaza, which took place over 26/27 March 1917. During this action the Battalion lost 16 killed and 150 wounded. Second Lieutenant Arthur Llewelyn Williams and Private Rowland Williams were amongst those lost on this day. Private Jones was admitted to hospital at Alexandria for treatment. On recovery he rejoined his unit on 14 June 1917. On 6/7 November the Battalion took part in the attack at Tel El Khuweilfeh, part of the Third Battle of GazaOn 6 November 1917 he was admitted to 3 Welsh Field Ambulance "Dangerously wounded. GSW to abdomen, buttock with protusion of omentum". He was then admitted to 75 Casualty Clearing Station on 10 November, where he died of his wounds. The War Diary records that he was one of 63 who lost their lives during this action with 113 others wounded. His effects were sent onto his mother and included a wallet, letters, photos and cards.

Born at Holyhead, the son of Richard and Mary Jones, of 10 British Terrace, Holyhead. Brother to William John Jones and Elizabeth Roberts. Both his parents had passed way by September 1919. His medals where received by his brother. In 1911 he lived at 10 British Terrace, Holyhead with his parents, Richard (56) and Mary (54) and brother William John (30) and Elizabeth (23). His father was employed as a Fireman and his brother was a Yeast Dealer. Owen (20) was employed as a Shop Assistant. All were born in Holyhead. His parents married at Holyhead in 1873.

Awarded the 1914-15 Star, Victory Medal and British War Medal.

Buried at Beersheba War Cemetery, Israel. Grave location O.33. Commemorated on a memorial plaque at Hyfrydle Chapel, Thomas Street, Holyhead.

Thanks to Aled L Jones for additional information.