HMHS Anglia

TSS Anglia (1,862 gross tonnage) was built by William Denny & Brothers of Dumbarton, Scotland on behalf of the London & North Western Railway. She was sister ship to the TSS Hibernia (HMS Tara) and commenced duty on the Holyhead to Ireland service in 1900. She was an express passenger steamer capable of speeds of 22 knots. Shortly after the outbreak of war SS Anglia was commandeered for war service by the Admiralty and initially fitted out as an armed boarding steamer and named HMS Anglia. She took on the role of Fleet Messenger until April 1915 when she was refitted as an auxiliary hospital ship. She was renamed HMHS Anglia, remaining under the command of Captain Lionel J Manning.

On 17 November 1915, HMHS Anglia was making its way from Boulogne, France across the English Channel to Dover carrying 390 wounded soldiers, accompanied by medical staff. The crew numbered 56 with most of them originating from Holyhead and Anglesey. The ship followed the marked route reserved for Hospital Ships. At about 12.30 pm she struck a mine laid previously by the submarine UC-5, one mile east of "Folkestone Gate", the swept channel entrance to Dover Harbour. The ship struck the mine on her forward port side and she immediately began to sink.

The destroyer HMS Ure, with the assistance of  the collier, SS Lusitania did their best to evacuate the passengers and crew, passing the rescued to the Submarine Depot ship, HMS Hazard. The rescue was made more difficult as the ship was listing heavily with her stern rising out of the water and screws still turning. As a result the ship continued to move in a circle and out of control. HMS Ure positioned herself close to the Anglia and managed to take off many from her decks. Before the Anglia finally sank the destroyer set herself across the steamer's submerged bow to take off as many as possible of those remaining.

It took HMHS Anglia just 15-20 minutes to sink. During that time many sacrificed their lives to help others. It is believed that up to 164 people lost their lives, including 25 of her crew, 23 of these from Holyhead.
William Lewis, Quartermaster

Thomas Henry Owen, Galley Boy

Robert Pritchard, Coal Trimmer

Richard  Roberts, Chief Steward

Robert James Stuart, Fireman

Owen Thomas, Leading Stoker

Richard Thomas, Deck Boy

George Edward Williams
, Chief Engineer

Joseph P Williams, Third Engineer

Meredith Williams, Second Steward

Robert Williams, Steward