- three 8-inch layers of chocolate cake
- two 6-inch layers of yellow cake
- 3 - 3 1/3 cups vanilla buttercream, tinted grass green
- 1 cup vanilla buttercream, white
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate buttercream
- Level all of the cakes with a sharp knife or cake leveler, saving any scraps for another use.
- Place a 10-inch cake board on a lazy susan or turntable. Place the
first 8-inch layer of cake on the board, bottom side up. Frost with a
thin layer of the green buttercream. Repeat with the 2nd and 3rd
- Frost the bottom tier all over with green buttercream.
- Follow the instructions in a previous post
for securing the bottom section of the cake with dowels, followed by a
6-inch cake board to support the top tier. Be sure to poke a hole in
the center of the 6-inch cake board.
- Place a 6-inch layer of cake on the cake board, bottom side up.
Frost with a thin layer of the chocolate buttercream. Place the second
6-inch layer of cake on top. Secure the cake with a long dowel down the
center of the cake, through the hole in the cake board, all the way to
- Frost the top tier all over with chocolate buttercream, taking care not to mix it with the green buttercream.
- Fill a piping bag with the white buttercream. Fit the bag with a
flat tip, Wilton #45. Pipe lines, starting at the bottom of the top
tier, over the side of the bottom tier, down to the bottom edge; these
lines represent the lines of a football field. I piped 11 lines, with
two of them spaced wider apart than the other. (Helpful Tip: use a
toothpick to lightly mark the buttercream where you're going to pipe the
lines, before you start.)
- Since the birthday boy was turning 1, I piped "#1" in the wider
section, still using the flat tip. Switch to a small round tip, Wilton
#4. Pipe the numbers of the field around the bottom of the cake, next
to the corresponding lines. For my cake, I piped them in this order:
Goal, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 40, 30, 20, 10, Goal, and with "Endzone" piped
in the larger section.
- On top of the cake, I used the same small round tip to pipe the "Happy Birthday" message.
- Pipe six footballs around the sides of the top tier.
- Switch to a medium open star tip, Wilton #32. Pipe a border of stars around the edge of the top tier.
- Fill a piping bag with the rest of the green buttercream. Fit the
bag with a grass tip, Wilton #233. Pipe grass all around the top of the
bottom tier, and then at the bottom edge.
- Finish the cake with little plastic football players cake toppers!
Recipe and design from Curly Girl Kitchen