Date Swirl Cookies
1. In a saucepan, combine all the filling ingredients. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thick, about 15-20 minutes. Pour into a bowl and chill in the refrigerator while preparing the dough.
2. To prepare the dough, cream the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar. When butter and sugars are creamy and fluffy, add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually add the almond paste, beating well until smooth. Add vanilla extract.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide into 2 balls, wrap each in plastic wrap, and chill for at least one hour.
4. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one of the balls of dough to a 12-in x 9-in rectangle, about 1/4 inch thick. Spread with half of the filling. Roll up, starting with the long end. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Wrap the rolls of dough tightly in plastic wrap and chill overnight. (Note, dough is very soft, so handle carefully.)
5. Preheat the oven to 375. Slice the dough into 1/2 inch thick slices; place 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Bake for 8 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool for one minute on the baking sheets, then carefully transfer to waxed paper to cool completely.
Original Blog Post: http://www.curlygirlkitchen.com/2011/05/date-swirl-cookies-with-essence-of.html