(Lemon Cake with Strawberry Jam Filling, and Strawberry and Vanilla Buttercream)
- 3 round 8-inch cake layers
- 2 round 6-inch cake layers
- 1 cup seedless strawberry jam or filling
- 4 cups strawberry buttercream, pink
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups vanilla buttercream, white
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups vanilla buttercream, green
- Pretzel sticks
- Various tips: Grass Tip, Small Round Tip, and a Drop Flower Tip (Wilton 1M)
- Bake and cool the cakes completely.
- Prepare and tint the buttercream.
- Place one 8-inch cake on a cake board. Top with half the jam. Add
the 2nd 8-inch cake. Top with the rest of the jam. Place the 3rd
8-inch cake on top.
- Take a very sharp knife, and carefully carve the stairs into the
side of the cake, starting at the top and working your way down.
- Frost the sides only with the pink strawberry buttercream.
- Frost the top of the cake and the stairs with the green
buttercream. (To frost the stairs, I carefully piped frosting onto each
stair and then smoothed it out with a knife, shaping the stairs with
the frosting. Piping the frosting onto the stairs is crucial - if you
try to spread it directly on with a knife, you risk tearing the cake and
filling the frosting with crumbs.
- Take one of the 6-inch layers of cake, and using a 4-inch biscuit
cutter (or sharp knife) cut it into a 4-inch round. Frost the sides and
top of the 4-inch cake with white buttercream (I did this on a plate
first, then transferred it to the cake).
- Fill a piping bag fitted with a small round tip with green
buttercream. Pipe a door and windows on the side of the 4-inch cake.
Switch to the grass tip and pipe grass all around the base of the 4-inch
- Take the other 6-inch cake and holding it upside down (with the
domed top against your palm), spread pink buttercream onto the base of
the cake. Turn the cake over with the unfrosted, domed side up, on top
of the white base. At this point, secure the whole cake with a wooden
skewer straight down the center. Carefully frost the sides and top of
the cake with pink buttercream - it should look like a mushroom on top
of the cake.
- Take the pretzel sticks, and insert them around the edges of the
cake, angled back and forth, to look like a rustic fence. Insert a
pretzel stick at the edge of each step into the cake.
- Using the grass tip, pipe grass around the bottom and top edge of the 8-inch cake, and along the steps.
- Using the drop flower tip, pipe white drop flowers randomly around the cake.
- With a small round tip, fill the centers of each flower with a green dot. Pipe a few windows randomly around the cake.
- With a small round tip, pipe white dots onto the mushroom.
- Decorate with confetti fairies and stars glued to lollipop sticks or toothpicks.
- If transporting via car, refrigerate for several hours to stabilize the cake for transportation.
Design by Curly Girl Kitchen