Wine Braised Herb Chicken with Roasted Grapes
By Meeta K. Wolff
Prep Time: 15 min
Total Time: 60 minutes
- 6 pieces (thigh and drumsticks) free-range chicken
- 4-6 shallots, halved or if small left whole
- 1 garlic head, halved
- 4 carrots, thickly sliced
- 1 medium sized sweet potato, cut into wedges
- 200 ml white wine (I used a Weißburgunder from Weingut Zahn, but a Riesling or a Bacchus would pair brilliantly here)
- 200 ml chicken stock
- large handful mixed herbs: tarragon, oregano, marjoram, thyme, very finely chopped
- 2 bunches (handful) white and red grapes, left on their vines
- 2-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 100g melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Set aside 1 tablespoon olive oil and butter each. Pour the rest of the oil and butter in a small mixing bowl, crush 1 garlic clove and add the herbs to make a thick basting paste.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil and a small glug of butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Throw in 2 halves shallots and 1 garlic clove to infuse the oil-butter mixture in the pan. Allow to brown then remove from pan. Brush the chicken lightly with the herb basting paste, then season to taste. Add the pieces to the pan, in batches if necessary, and fry until golden on both sides. Transfer to a roasting pan. Place the carrots and sweet potatoes around the chicken and lightly brush the vegetables with the herb mixture too. Pour wine and stock – first only 100 ml each, then place the roasting tin into the oven.
- Roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes (depending on how large the chicken pieces are), brushing the chicken with the herb mixture in between and adding more liquid if required. After the 25 minutes are through, add the grapes also brushing them with the herb mixture, pouring more liquid and then roasting for a further 20 minutes until caramelized.
- Remove from the oven and arrange on a platter, serving with a crusty whole-wheat baguette and of course with lots of white wine (the same you used in the dish).
All photographs and written content on What's For Lunch, Honey? © 2006-2014 Meeta K. Wolff unless otherwise indicated. | All rights reserved | If you are interested in using my texts or photographs please contact me | You may not use my work for commercial purposes without my permission | You may not alter, transform, or build upon this work in any form | Please Ask First