Maple Roasted Pumpkin and Allspice Babka with Cinnamon Icing
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 2 small butternut squashes, cut in large chunks
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 130 g unsalted butter, softened
- 110 ml buttermilk
- 210 g all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 100g muscovado sugar
- 1 large egg
- 50g dried cranberries
- 50g pecans, toasted and chopped
- 50g icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees C. Butter the Bundt cake form. line a baking tray with some baking paper.
- Toss the butternut squash chunks in the maple syrup and spread on the baking tray. Bake in the oven till soft, then puree in the blender. Transfer to jars and keep in the refrigerator until needed. You can make this ahead as it will keep for 3-5 days in the fridge. For the cake you will need about 150 g of the puree.
- Beat the soft butter until fluffy, then add sugar and continue to beat until thick and voluminous. Add the pumpkin puree and using the spatula fold it in. Add the pecans and cranberries, folding it into the mixture carefully.
- In a separate bowl sieve the flour, baking powder and all spice. Add half of the dry ingredients into the squash mixture, then pour the buttermilk and fold in using the spatula in a few quick folds. Add the rest of the dry ingredients. Combine everything making sure not not to over-stir the batter.
- Pour the batter into the Bundt form, evening the top with the spatula. Place the cake form into the oven, on the middle shelf and bake for approx. 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool completely.
- For the icing, stir the icing sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon with a few drops of water to make thick but fluid icing. Pour the icing over the cake and let it set for a few minutes. Decorate with chopped pecan.
Notes: You can substitute the cranberries with dried sour cherries or raisins and add any other nuts instead of the pecans. I really like this using macadamia nuts too.
All photographs and written content on What's For Lunch, Honey? © 2006-2012 Meeta K. Wolff unless otherwise indicated. | All rights reserved | If you are interested in using my texts or photographs please contact me | You may not use my work for commercial purposes without my permission | You may not alter, transform, or build upon this work in any form | Please Ask First