450g chickpeas, soaked overnight then cooked till tender. Alternatively you
can use canned chickpeas
500g spinach leaves, washed and chopped
1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
2 tablespoons canola oil – or ghee (clarified butter)
1 tablespoon ginger, finely chopped
150g red onions, finely chopped
2 teaspoons tomato paste
1 large tomato, finely chopped
1 green chili, finely chopped
Salt to taste
- Heat canola oil (or ghee) in a medium sized pan over a medium to high heat.
Add the mustard seeds, cover and cook until the seeds have stopped popping –
approx. 30 seconds.
- Lower the heat and add the ginger, stir-frying for about 30 seconds until
- Add the onion and cook for 10 minutes until onions are slightly caramelized
and brown. Then add chopped tomato, tomato paste, green chili and salt. Finally
tip in the chickpeas and coat with the sauce.
- Add about 2 cups of water and bring the mixture to a boil. The lower heat
and add the spinach in two to three batches, stirring until each batch has
- Once all the spinach has been added allow the curry to simmer for 10-12
minutes on a medium low heat, until the sauce has thickened.
- Serve hot with naans and chutney.
Food Guide Tips: