140g all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
140g Muscavado sugar
140g butter, softened
zest of a lime
1 tablespoon milk
150g strawberries, cut 12 into halves and chop remaining into chunks
140g icing sugar
3-4 strawberries, chopped into chunks
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C. Line a 12 hole muffin form with paper cases
or lightly butter and flour the form.
- Cream together butter, sugar and lime zest in a large mixing bowl. The
mixture should be pale, fluffy and creamy. Add the polenta and continue to
whisk, then add the eggs, one at a time until each one is incorporated.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder and using a rubber spatula quickly fold
until the batter is thick. Do not worry if it looks lumpy – it’s because of the
polenta. Pour in the milk and stir then fold in the strawberry chunks.
- Divide the muffin batter into the muffin tin. Bake for approx. 20 minutes or
until they are golden and springy to touch. Allow to cool for a few minutes,
then turn them out on a wire rack and cool completely.
At this point the muffins can be stored in air-tight containers for up to 2 days.
- For the frosting mash the strawberries to a pulp with the back of a fork.
Add a few drops of the lime juice. Push the mixture through a sieve over the
icing sugar. Mix the sugar until the mixture is thick and paste-like.
- Remove the muffin cases carefully from the muffins, then dip the tops into the batter one at a time and immediately decorate with the reserved strawberry halves. Allow to set and dry.