Chocolate Brushed Lebkuchen
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- 200g raw marzipan
- 200g sugar
- 50 candied lemon peel, finely chopped
- 4 free-range egg whites
- 50g almonds, ground
- 50g hazelnuts, ground
- 100g all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon Lebkuchen spice mix (see below)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Pinch baking soda
- 40 round rice paper approx. 5cm diameter
- 100g bittersweet chocolate
- 100g white chocolate
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C. Line two baking trays with baking paper and moisten with some water. Place the rice paper rounds 1 cm apart.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the egg whites, marzipan, sugar and pinch of salt with an electric whisk to a thick and smooth batter. Fold in the lemon peel.
- Mix together the ground almonds, hazelnuts, flour and Lebkuchen spice, then fold into the egg-marzipan batter. Dissolve the baking soda in 1 tablespoon water and mix into the batter.
- Fill the lebkuchen batter into a piping bag with a rounded tip and pipe enough batter on the rice paper round, keeping a few millimeters free from the edges as the batter spreads while it bakes.
- Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, then completely cool the lebkuchen cookies on a rack.
- In the meantime melt both chocolates separately over a water bath. Brush the cookies alternatively with white and bittersweet chocolate. Allow the chocolate to dry and set.
- Store the lebkuchen cookies in a cookie box between layers of baking paper.
* Note: If you cannot find premixed "Lebkuchen Gewürz" from a German store, you may mix your own. Here are the spices that make up "Lebkuchen Gewürz"
2 T. ground cinnamon
2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ground anise seed
Yields 40 cookies
All photographs and written content on What's For Lunch, Honey? © 2006-2010 Meeta Khurana unless otherwise indicated. | All rights reserved | If you are interested in using my texts or photographs please contact me | You may not use my work for commercial purposes without my permission | You may not alter, transform, or build upon this work in any form | Please Ask First