Recipe From What's For Lunch, Honey?
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 300g whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 180g unsalted butter, melted
- 200g dark brown muscovado sugar
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 vanilla bean, insides scraped
- 150g dark chocolate, coarsely chopped into chunks
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C. Line two baking sheets with baking
parchment and set aside.
- In a medium bowl sieve the flour, bicarbonate of soda and sea salt together.
Stir a few times to distribute the raising agent.
- Whisk together the melted butter with the sugars until creamy, then add the
large egg, extra yolk and vanilla innards to the mixture. Whisk again and then
add the flour. Continue whisking the mixture for a few minutes to stretch the
- Add the chocolate chips and fold in. The cookie dough should feel almost dry
now and look like a solid lump. Make sure the chocolate chunks do not all
cluster in one part of the dough.
- Using a ice cream scoop, scoop small chunks of dough on the baking sheets,
spacing them about 5 cm apart. To be on the safe side, space them further than
5cm as the cookies have a tendency to merge together while baking.
- Bake on the upper-middle shelf of the oven for 15-18 minutes until the
cookies are golden, the sides feel firm to the touch but the centre is still
- Cool the cookies on the baking sheets (helps keep their chewy consistency) and then remove with a pallet knife or very flat spatula. Store in a cookie tin.