For the cake
280g all-purpose flour
250g butter, room temperature
140g muscovado sugar
6 eggs, lightly beaten
85g ground almonds
2 teaspoon ground ginger
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoon ground all spice
700g mixed dried fruit of choice, I used
- candied orange peel
- candied ginger
140g marzipan, cubed
2-3 tablespoons rum
For the topping
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C. Lightly butter and line a the base and sides
of a deep round cake form with a loose bottom (22cm) with baking paper.
- In a bowl whisk the sugar, butter, flour, eggs, ground almonds and spices
with an electric hand held beater. Whisk the mixture until the ingredients are
thoroughly incorporated and it is thick and creamy.
- Weigh about 100g of the batter into a smaller bowl and set it aside for the
- In the rest of the batter fold in the fruit and rum using a spatula, then
gently stir in the marzipan. Pour the cake mixture into the prepared cake form,
smoothing to the top with the spatula. Bake the cake for approx. 1 to 1.5 hours
(mine took about 1.25 hours).
- In the meantime, mix all the nuts and Marschino cherries with the 100g cake
batter that was reserved to make the topping. Pour in the treacle and maple
syrup and stir until everything is coated well.
- Once the cake has baked for 1-1.5 hours remove from oven and spoon the
topping mixture over the top, distributing it evenly. Cover loosely with some
aluminum foil and place bake in the over for another 40 minutes, then remove the
foil and bake another 10 minutes to brown the nuts. The cake is ready when a
wooden skewer inserted in the middle of it comes out clean.
- Cool cake completely in tin, then turn it out and cover tightly with foil.
The cake will keep for 1-2 weeks stored in a cool dry place.