Almond and Peanut Florentines
Prep Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 2 hours
- 170g sugar
- 50g honey
- 120g butter
- 140 ml heavy cream
- 100g candied peel, chopped
- 50g hazelnuts, ground
- 100g peanuts
- 200g almond slivers
- 40g flour
- 300g bittersweet chocolate
- Pre-heat oven to 190 degrees C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a saucepan gently simmer sugar, honey, butter and cream over a medium heat for 6-8 minutes.
- Mix together the candied peel, peanuts and almonds with the flour in a bowl. Fold into the caramel and simmer for a further 5-6 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Using a spatula spread the caramel-nut mixture evenly in about 10 cm diameter rounds, leaving about 5 cm space between each cookie. You should get about 20 cookies.
- Bake in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes, until cookies are golden in color. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Loosen the cookies with a spatulas.
- In the meantime melt the chocolate over a water bath. Once melted dip the bottom of the cookies in the chocolate. Allow to drip on a cookie rack, then place in the fridge for 10 minutes to set
- Store the florentine cookies in a cookie box between layers of baking paper. Will keep for about a week.
Yields 20 cookies
All photographs and written content on What's For Lunch, Honey? © 2006-2010 Meeta Khurana unless otherwise indicated. | All rights reserved | If you are interested in using my texts or photographs please contact me | You may not use my work for commercial purposes without my permission | You may not alter, transform, or build upon this work in any form | Please Ask First