Recipe From What's For Lunch, Honey?
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1.5 hours
- 1 kg minced lamb
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 burger buns, to serve
- 200 g halloumi cheese, sliced
- 3 large red onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Place the minced lamb in a large mixing bowl and add the garlic, onion, crushed coriander, cinnamon and cumin. Season well with salt and pepper and mix all the ingredients using your hand until combined.
- Divide into 8 portions and shape the mixture into burgers. If you want to check the flavor, fry a small burger in a drop of oil before shaping the rest and, if necessary, add extra flavorings or seasoning.
- Place the burgers on a tray and cover with cling-film. Allow them to relax for at least 30 minutes in the fridge.
- You can either heat up a skillet and fry the burgers on each side in a little olive oil for 5-8 minutes or heat up the barbecue and cook them for 5-8 minutes over medium-hot coals. To prevent the burgers from sticking, brush with a little oil before barbecuing them.
- In the same way fry the halloumi cheese on both sides until slightly brown.
- For the caramelized onions, heat oil in a large frying pan over low heat. Add the onions and a good pinch of salt and cook gently for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent them from sticking to the bottom of the pan and burning.
- When onions are softened and colored golden, add sugar and balsamic - this starts the caramelization process. Continue to cook onions over low heat for a further 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sticky and caramelized.
- To assemble the burgers place lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber slices on one side of the bun. Place the lamb burger on the salad, a few caramelized onions and finally top with the cheese. Cover with the other half of the bun.
Note: Use your favorite sauces or relishes to add additional flavor to the burgers.