By Meeta K. Wolff
By Meeta K. Wolff
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Makes 10 to 12 mini cakes
- 240 g all-purpose flour
- 50 g poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¾ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 115 g Butter, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 150 g fine granulated sugar
- 80 ml brewed spiced black tea, cooled and at room temperature
- 120 ml whole milk, room temperature
- 50 g sliced almonds
- 120 ml sweetened condensed milk
- 50 g icing sugar
- 30 ml brewed spiced black tea, cooled and at room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and position a rack in the middle. Butter 10 to 12 mini-gugelhupf forms with butter, alternatively you can use a muffin form lined with paper liners.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt, ginger, cardamom, and cloves into a bowl.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or using handheld beaters, whip the butter until creamy. Add the sugar and continue to whip till mixture is pale and creamy - approm 3 to 4 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time making sure each one if fully incorporated before adding the next one.
- With the mixer turned off, add the tea, milk, poppy seeds and the sifted dry ingredients. Turn the mixer on low and quickly beat the mixture only until everything is incorporated. Remove the bowl and using a rubber spatula give the mixture a couple of folds, making sure to to clean the sides and scooping the bottom to make sure there are no lumpy bits sitting at the bottom of the bowl.
- Spoon the batter into the gugelhupf or muffin forms and bake in the hot oven for approx. 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the cakes, comes out clean. Cool the cakes completely on a wire rack.
- While the cakes are baking make the glaze by mixing the condensed milk, icing sugar and the brewed spiced black tea in a small bowl. The consistency should be a nice thick and pourable glaze. When you are ready to serve drizzle the glaze over the cakes, sprinkle with the sliced almonds and serve.