Cherry Pistachio Meringue Tart
By Meeta K. Wolff
Prep Time: 45 min
Total Time: 90 minutes
- For the shortcrust pastry
- 225g all-purpose flour
- 100g butter, cold and diced
- Pinch of salt
- For the filling
- 40g pistachio nuts, toasted
- 800g sweet cherries, pitted
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 300g caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons Muscovado sugar
- 6 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- For the shortcrust pastry, sieve the flour into a large bowl, add the butter and rub in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Sprinkle in the salt, then add 2-3 tablespoons water and mix to a firm dough. Knead the dough briefly and gently on a floured surface. Wrap in cling film and chill for 30 minutes. Roll out pastry on a lightly floured surface to about 5mm thick. Line a 25cm diameter flat tart pan. Press the pastry in firmly and leave the excess hanging over the edge. Prick with a fork, then line with baking paper and fill with baking weights or uncooked beans. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove the paper and weights/beans and bake for a further 8-10 minutes until golden.
- Place the pitted cherries in a saucepan, sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sugar and drizzle the brandy. On a medium heat bring everything to a boil then reduce to low and gently simmer until thick and syrupy.
- Whisk egg whites in an electric mixer to soft peaks. With the motor running, add remaining 300g sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, allowing each to be incorporated before adding the next, until stiff and glossy. Add vinegar and vanilla seeds, then whisk briefly to combine.
- With a slotted spoon spread the cherries on the tart base. Transfer meringue to a piping bag fitted with a 1.5cm plain nozzle and pipe over the cherries. Alternatively, spoon meringue over cherries.
- Place the tart on a baking tray and bake for 10-15 minutes until the meringue tops are golden. Scatter with toasted pistachios. Serve warm or at room temperature.
All photographs and written content on What's For Lunch, Honey? © 2006-2014 Meeta K. Wolff unless otherwise indicated. | All rights reserved | If you are interested in using my texts or photographs please contact me | You may not use my work for commercial purposes without my permission | You may not alter, transform, or build upon this work in any form | Please Ask First