Lamb And Quince Tagine
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 55 minutes
- 1 ½ kg lamb shoulder, trimmed and cut into 5cm/2in chunks
- ½ tsp cumin seeds, ground
- ½ teaspoon coriander seeds, ground
- 100g butter
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 large onions, roughly chopped
- 400 ml lamb stock
- 2 quince, peeled, quartered and cored
- ½ cinnamon stick
- 4 tablespoon clear honey
- Handful coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 orange, juice and rind
- ½ teaspoon saffron, dissolved in abou 2 tablespoon boiling water
- Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
- In a large casserole heat about 75g of butter and brown the lamb chunks on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- Add onions, garlic and all the spices (except for the saffron); sauté for 2 minutes until the onions are aromatic and translucent. Season and pour the stock into the casserole. Add 2 tablespoons honey and about half of the coriander. Bring the mixture to a boil, then put the lamb back into the casserole, reduce heat, cover with a lid and simmer over a low heat for 1½ hours until meat it fork tender.
- In the meantime, place quince in a saucepan and cover with water. Add orange juice, rind and the remaining honey. Bring to a boil then turn heat down and simmer for about 15 minutes until the quince is tender.
- After the lamb has cooked, add about 4-5 tablespoons of the poaching liquid, the saffron and its water to the casserole and allow to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until sauce thickens. Season to taste.
- Slice quince into thinner slices and heat up the remaining butter in a frying pan. Sauté quince slices until they are golden. Add the quince slices to the casserole and sprinkle with the remaining coriander. Serve with a mixed vegetable couscous.
All photographs and written content on What's For Lunch, Honey? © 2006-2010 Meeta Khurana unless otherwise indicated. | All rights reserved | If you are interested in using my texts or photographs please contact me | You may not use my work for commercial purposes without my permission | You may not alter, transform, or build upon this work in any form | Please Ask First