Semlor - Swedish Cream Buns
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours
Makes: 9 buns
- 300g all-purpose flour, sieved
- 160 ml milk
- 15g fresh yeast
- 50g sugar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground cardamom (according to your liking)
- 30g butter, melted
- 1 small egg
- Pinch of salt
- 150g lingonberry preserve
- 200ml whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons vanilla sugar
- about ½ cup of milk sweetened with some sugar, for brushing
- Heat milk to about 38°C. In a clean bowl mix yeast with sugar and warm milk. Place the flour, cardamom, salt, egg and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer attached with a dough hook. Pour the yeast-milk mixture and knead into a smooth dough - about 8 minutes. Alternatively if kneading by hand it will take a bit longer. Cover and let rise in a warm place for about 50 minutes.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and divide into nine equal pieces. Briefly knead each piece between your palms and roll the bits of dough into buns. Place the buns on a baking tray lined with a sheet of baking paper. Make sure to leave enough space between the buns as they will rise to double their size. Cover the tray and leave to rise in a warm place for 30-40 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 210 degrees C. Brush the buns with the sweetened milk and bake in the oven for 8 minutes. Do keep an eye on them as they will brown quickly.
- Remove the buns from the oven and brush again lightly with the sweetened milk then allow to cool on a wire rack. Cut the tops of the buns and scoop out the center of each bun (about 2 teaspoons). Fill the centers with the lingonberry preserve.
- Whip the cream and the vanilla sugar until light and fluffy and dollop 1 or 2 teaspoons of the sweetened cream onto the preserve, filling the buns. Place the tops back on the buns.
Serve with steaming strong coffee.
A popular way to enjoy semlor is to dunk them in deep bowl with warm milk and ground cinnamon.
All photographs and written content on What's For Lunch, Honey? © 2006-2013 Meeta K. Wolff unless otherwise indicated. | All rights reserved | If you are interested in using my texts or photographs please contact me | You may not use my work for commercial purposes without my permission | You may not alter, transform, or build upon this work in any form | Please Ask First