Rhubarb Ginger Quark Strudel
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Yield: 1 strudel with approx. 12 pieces
- 80g butter, melted
- about 12 sheets strudel dough
- Handful of flour
- 1 egg white
For the filling
- 100g butter, melted
- 2 eggs, separated
- 500g quark, hung overnight
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 cm piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 75g + 50g muscovado sugar
- 350g rhubarb, trimmed and sliced
- 50g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
- Begin with making the rhubarb for the filling by placing it in an ovenproof dish and sprinkle with 50g muscovado sugar, 1/2 of the lemon zest and ginger, toss well then roast in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Remove and strain through a sieve reserving the juices.
- Lay out 4 sheets of the strudel dough on a lightly floured surface. Use the 80g melted butter to brush the sheets, then lay another 4 sheets, brush again with butter and layer the final 4 sheets.
- For the quark filling, beat the egg whites to stiff peaks. In a separate bowl whisk together the quark, egg yolks, 75g sugar, 60g butter, the remaining lemon zest and cornflour until ingredients are smooth and nicely incorporated. Using a spatula, fold in the egg whites.
- Spread the filling on the strudel dough leaving approx. 2-3 cm free around the edges. Place the ginger-lemon-rhubarb slices over the quark filling and then roll the strudel from the long side. Tuck in the sides and brush with the egg white to seal.
- Transfer the strudel to a baking tray lined with baking paper and brush with the remaining melted butter.
- Bake the strudel for 25- 30 minutes until golden. Remove from the oven allow to cool and dust generously with icing sugar.
Note: The strudel tastes best when it is still slightly warm and served on the same day. This tastes awesome with some thick vanilla sauce or vanilla ice cream.
If you do have leftovers, heat the slices gently in the microwave.
Make you own homemade quark using my recipe.
All photographs and written content on What's For Lunch, Honey? © 2006-2013 Meeta K. Wolff unless otherwise indicated. | All rights reserved | If you are interested in using my texts or photographs please contact me | You may not use my work for commercial purposes without my permission | You may not alter, transform, or build upon this work in any form | Please Ask First