Baked Eggs with Spiced Chickpeas and Chard
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
- 400g can of chickpeas, drained
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 ½ teaspoon smoked chipotle paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 400g can tomatoes
- 2 whole roasted peppers from a jar, cut into strips
- 180g chard, chopped
- 6-8 eggs
- whole wheat pita or crusty bread for scooping
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas. Preheat oven to 180C. Heat olive oil in a saucepan, add onion and garlic and sauté over low-medium heat until caramelized. This should take about 8-10 minutes.
- Add spices, sauté until fragrant for another 1 minute, then add the roasted peppers from the jar. Pour the tomato, breaking up with a wooden spoon and then stir through chickpeas and eventually a glass of water, simmer for about 8 to 10 minutes until thick. Season to taste and add chard stirring it through the mixture.
- Spoon chickpea mixture into a shallow ovenproof dish or a cast iron skillet. Make eight indents in mixture with a spoon, crack an egg into each Bake until eggs are just set - this should take about 15 minutes. Serve hot with pita or crusty bread.
You can make variations of this by using spinach or kale instead of chard.
Use a mixture of legumes instead of just chickpeas.
This makes a fantastic side to chicken or fish too.
All photographs and written content on What's For Lunch, Honey? © 2006-2014 Meeta K. Wolff unless otherwise indicated. | All rights reserved | If you are interested in using my texts or photographs please contact me | You may not use my work for commercial purposes without my permission | You may not alter, transform, or build upon this work in any form | Please Ask First