Recipe From What's For Lunch, Honey?
Prep Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
For the apple cake
- 50 g ground almonds
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 100, butter, softened
- 100g sugar
- 10g vanilla sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3-4 tablespoons milk
- 2 apples, quartered and cut in slices
- 150g flour, sieved
- 50g almonds, sliced
- 50g sugar
- 150ml heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons Bailey’s Irish Cream
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. Line a baking form (20 x 14 cm) with baking paper.
- Mix together flour, ground nuts, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
In a separate bowl whisk butter and 100g sugar together until thick and
creamy – approx. 10 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, whisking well to make sure they are
incorporated well into the batter. Blend the flour mixture and the milk
and whisk until smooth.
- Spread the cake batter into the batter and smooth the top. Arrange
the apple slices on the cake and gently press into the batter. Sprinkle
with vanilla sugar and the sliced almonds.
- Bake in the oven for about 35 minutes Take out of the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- In the meantime make the toffee syrup by melting sugar in a saucepan
until light brown in color. Add the heavy cream and the Bailey’s cream.
Cook on gentle heat until reduced, thick and syrupy.
- Remove cake from the form and drizzle 1/3 of the toffee syrup over the cake. Cut into pieces and serve with whipped cream and the remaining toffee syrup.