For the fruit
45og rhubarb, cut into 1 cm pieces
2 mangoes, cut into cubes
1 tablespoon muscovado sugar
small piece ginger, finely grated
For the topping
170g buckwheat flour
handful of Amaratti biscuit, coarsely crushed
85g cold butter, cubes
85g muscovado sugar
85g pistachios, roughly chopped
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
pinch of fleur de sel
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C. Lightly butter 6 individual ramekin
- Make the topping first by putting all the ingredients into a large bowl and
using your fingertips rub the butter into the dry ingredients to form a few
small chunks of mixture very resembling coarse breadcrumbs. Place this mixture
in the freezer while you prepare the fruit.
- Put the rhubarb slices in a saucepan with the sugar and 4 tbsp water. Cook
over a gentle heat for 2-3 minutes until the rhubarb just begins to become
slightly tender but is still crunchy. It will cook further in the oven. Remove
from the heat and stir in the mangoes and stem ginger. Spoon the mixture into
the ramekin forms.
- Take the crumble topping from the freezer and with your fingertips sprinkle
the topping over the forms. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until the tops
are golden and the fruit is hot and bubbling.
- Serve warm with scoops of vanilla ice cream.