Salted Caramel Dark Chocolate Brownies
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yields: 15-20 squares
For the caramel
- 75g sugar
- 50ml thick pouring cream
- 10g butter
- generous pinch of fleur de sel
For the brownie
- 100g unsalted butter
- 150g sugar
- 100g brown sugar
- 75g golden syrup
- 270g good quality dark chocolate, 70%
- 4 eggs
- 70g flour
- To make the caramel, put the sugar in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Once the edges begin to melt, gently swirl the pan around to get the sugar to move around and melt evenly. Do not stir, just keep swirling the pan gently until all the sugar has melted and turned liquid. Keep the pan on the heat until it turns a deep golden-bronze. Take of the heat and immediately pour about ⅓ of the cream into the sugar to reduce it’s cooking process. Reduce the heat and pour in the rest of the cream, whisking all the while until all the cream in incorporated. Sprinkle in the salt, then the butter in portions until the caramel is smooth and silky. The caramel should come off the spoon in thin ribbons. At this stage pour into a bowl to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C. Line a baking tray (20 x 20 cm) with some baking paper. To make the brownie batter, add the butter in a clean saucepan. Pour in both types of sugar and syrup. Heat gently until the mixture has melted, then stir the ingredients until they have incorporated together into a smooth thick mixture. Remove from the heat, add all of the chocolate and stir to blend together. Add the eggs one at a time whisking well after each addition. Finally add the flour and beat thoroughly until the batter is very smooth. Pour into the prepared baking tray.
- The caramel should have thickened nicely by now. Spoon this over the brownie batter. Using a skewer or a knife swirl the caramel through the chocolate brownie mixture.
- Bake for approx. 20-25 minutes, then take out and leave to cool entirely. Refrigerate overnight until set, then slice into squares with a sharp knife dipped into hot water and cleaned between each cut.
These brownies freeze really well. After you have cut them up into squares place in the freezer until frozen, then stack in an airtight container. When a craving hits, simply take out of the freezer and leave for 15 minutes at room temperature.
All photographs and written content on What's For Lunch, Honey? © 2006-2013 Meeta K. Wolff unless otherwise indicated. | All rights reserved | If you are interested in using my texts or photographs please contact me | You may not use my work for commercial purposes without my permission | You may not alter, transform, or build upon this work in any form | Please Ask First