1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 can evaporated milk
250 ml milk
1 teaspoon cardamom pods, slightly crushed
1/2 teaspoon edible lavender
2 tablespoons sugar
- The flan is cooked using the bain-marie method, so prepare a larger pan, one
that can hold your dessert bowls or casserole. Place the individual bowls,
casserole dish or loaf pan in the pan. Put the kettle on and boil some water.
Preheat oven to 140 degrees C.
- In a small, non-stick saucepan heat the sugar over medium heat. Swirl the
pan occasionally to distribute the sugar until it is dissolved and begins to
- Lift the pan over the heat (4 to 6 inches) and continue to brown the sugar
until it becomes a dark amber. Do not stir at this point as it causes the sugar
to crystallize. Pour caramelized sugar into the casserole dish, large loaf pan
or individual dessert bowls/glasses, and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan
evenly with the caramel. Work quickly because the caramel hardens fast.
- In a blender, combine sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, eggs and
milk. Blend on high for 1-2 minutes. Add the lavender and cardamom pods and
allow to steep for 30 minutes. Sieve the mixture then pour over the caramelized
- Bake for approx. 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes or until just set and the tops
are still wobbly. Remove from the oven and allow to cool at room temperature.
Place in the refrigerator for several hours, preferably overnight.
- You can serve the flan in individual bowls or turn it out onto a plate. To
take it out of the form, (after it is cold) run a thin knife around the edges.
Put a plate on top of the baking pan and flip over.