130g butter, softened
1 vanilla bean, inner seeds scraped out
1 large egg
185g all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Approx. 100g jam or preserve of choice (I used two: Morello cherry and cognac preserve from Fortnum and Mason’s and a raspberry jam)
Icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer or electric hand-beaters, beat butter, sugar and
vanilla until pale, thick and creamy. Add the egg and continue beating until
incorporated into the cookie batter.
- Sift in flour, cornflour and baking powder and with a wooden spoon stir the
batter until combined. The consistency of the dough will be very soft.
Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes.
- Using a teaspoon portion heaped teaspoons of the mixture and roll into
balls. Arrange on a lined baking tray. Make a deep hole in the centre of each
ball. Use the end of the wooden spoon handle. Dip it in flour before making each
indentation to keep the dough from sticking on the end.
- Fill each hole with about 1/2 teaspoon of jam/preserve. Make sure not to
overfill the indentations or the jam will overflow during baking.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until the cookies are pale golden. Swap the trays
around about halfway through the baking time so that the cookies bake evenly.
Allow to cool on trays or a wire rack. Be careful as the jam/preserve will be
- Allow cookies to cool completely, dust with icing sugar then store in an airtight container.
Yields 25 cookies