Spiced Nut and Date Baklava
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yields: 30 servings
- 450g phyllo pastry
- 300g mixed nuts, I used cashews, pecans, hazelnuts, finely chopped
- 100g dates, pitted and finely chopped
- 170g butter, clarified
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 50g sugar
For the syrup
- 285g sugar
- 180ml water
- 1 teaspoon orange blossom water
- Pre-heat oven to 135 degrees C.
- In a food processor place the nuts, dates, spices and sugar and pulse a few times till the mixture has coarse consistency.
- Generously brush a 24x34 cm baking tray with the butter. Layer 8 sheets of phyllo dough, brushing each sheet with more butter, then spread half of the nut and date mixture over the phyllo.
- Place another 4 sheets of phyllo over the mixture, also brushing each sheet with butter. Spread the remaining half of the nut mixture and finally layer the last 12 sheets of pastry, brushing with butter as you layer.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the baklava all the way through into diamonds.
- Bake the baklava slowly for 2 hours until the top is golden. Pour the cooled syrup (recipe below) as soon as the baklava comes out of the oven. Allow the baklava to cool to room temperature before serving. Baklava will keep in the tray, covered, for 3-4 days.
- To make the syrup place all the ingredients into a small saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer over a medium heat.
- Reduce the heat and cook the mixture over low heat until mixture becomes syrupy. This should take approximately 10 minutes.
- Remove the syrup from the heat and allow to cool completely before using.
All photographs and written content on What's For Lunch, Honey? © 2006-2013 Meeta K. Wolff unless otherwise indicated. | All rights reserved | If you are interested in using my texts or photographs please contact me | You may not use my work for commercial purposes without my permission | You may not alter, transform, or build upon this work in any form | Please Ask First