Beef Kofta Curry
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1-2 teaspoons Kashmiri chili powder
- 1 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 600g red onions, finely chopped/li>
- 25g garlic cloves, crushed
- 700g ground beef
- 1 egg, beaten
- 6-8 cardamom pods
- 6 cloves
- 8 cm cinnamon stick, broken in half
- 200g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- handful baby spinach leaves
- 1 red chili, finely sliced
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a heavy pan over a high heat. Add the coriander and cumin seeds and roast for a few seconds until the spices are fragrant. Grind the spices into a fine powder, then mix with the Kashmiri chili powder, turmeric and garam masala.
- Heat half of the oil in a large saucepan and sauté the onions and garlic gently for about 10 to 12 minutes until soft and golden. Add the ground spices and seasoning, cooking for a further 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer half of the mixture into a mixing bowl and allow to cool.
- Add the ground beef and the beaten egg to the onion-garlic mixture and mix everything together well. Shape into balls the size of walnuts and set aside.
- To the pan with the remaining onion-garlic mixture, add the cardamom pods, cloves, red chili and cinnamon stick. Pour the canned tomatoes, tomato paste and about 300 ml water to the pan. Season to taste and allow to gently simmer.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a non-stick frying pan. Add the meatballs, if necessary in two batches, and fry for approx. 3 minutes, turning them to brown on all sides. Drop the meatballs into the tomato sauce and simmer, part-covered, for 20 minutes stirring carefully every now and then until the sauce has reduced and thickened. During the last 3-5 minutes add the spinach leaves and stir. Check seasoning and serve hot with coriander flavored rice.
All photographs and written content on What's For Lunch, Honey? © 2006-2012 Meeta K. Wolff unless otherwise indicated. | All rights reserved | If you are interested in using my texts or photographs please contact me | You may not use my work for commercial purposes without my permission | You may not alter, transform, or build upon this work in any form | Please Ask First