Recipe From What's For Lunch, Honey?
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes plus extra time for dough in fridge
Makes: 15 madeleines
- 125g butter, plus extra for the pan
- 100g muscovado sugar
- 40g ground almonds
- 40g all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon spekulatius spice
- zest of 1 ½ oranges
- 3 egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat. Once it starts to foam, remove it from the heat and strain. Set aside.
- In a clean bowl, sift flour, sugar, ground almonds and spice. Whisk the egg whites in a separate bowl then fold this into the dry mix. Pour in the butter, which should be still slightly war, in one stream. Add the orange zest and the salt . Mix with a rubber spatula till incorporated. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 1 ½ hours.
- In the meantime butter the madeleine moulds and lightly dust with flour to ensure the cakes come out easily. Using two teaspoons, fill the moulds with the batter.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until set and golden brown. Leave to cool for a few minutes on a wire rack then enjoy warm.