Chocolate Cherry and Prune Hot Cross Buns
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes + 1 hour, plus cooling and rising
Makes: 12 buns
- 500g plain flour
- 14g (2 sachets) dried yeast
- 50g soft butter, in pieces
- 100g muscovado sugar
- 3 teaspoon ground mixed spice: ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, allspice, cloves
- 250g pitted prunes, chopped
- 100g dried cherries
- 250ml warm (not hot) milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 100g dark chocolate, chopped
- plain flour, for dusting (if needed)
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 75g caster sugar
- Tip the flour into a large mixing bowl, add the butter and rub between your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar, spices, prunes and dried cherries.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, then sprinkle in the yeast and pour the warm milk. With your finger rashly stir the yeast and milk together until the yeast has dissolved, then add and stir in the beaten egg. Add the chocolate and, using a large spoon at first, then your hands, bring the mixture together to make a dough.
- Knead the dough for 7-10 minutes, either by hand or in a stand mixer using a dough hook. Dust with a little extra flour if the dough is sticky.
- Cut the dough into 12 equal pieces, roll into buns and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Cover with a clean kitchen towel and leave the buns in a warm place to rise for 2 hours until springy to the touch.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C. To make the crosses, mix the flour with 3 tablespoons of cold water to make a thick paste, transfer it to a piping bag and pipe across the length and width of each bun to form a cross. Bake the buns for 25-30 minutes.
- For the glaze, gently heat the sugar and 3 tablespoons of water together in a small pan until the sugar has dissolved. Transfer the cooked buns to a wire cooling rack and brush with the glaze; leave to cool.
All photographs and written content on What's For Lunch, Honey? © 2006-2013 Meeta K. Wolff unless otherwise indicated. | All rights reserved | If you are interested in using my texts or photographs please contact me | You may not use my work for commercial purposes without my permission | You may not alter, transform, or build upon this work in any form | Please Ask First