Roasted Tomato Aubergine and Tahini Tart
Recipe From What's For Lunch, Honey?
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours
For the Crust
- 200g all-purpose flour
- 70g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Tahini (sesame paste)
- 3 egg yolks
- pinch salt
For the Filling
- 2 tablespoons Tahini (sesame paste)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1/2 bunch basil, chopped
- juice of ½ lemon
- 500g cherry tomatoes
- 3 small aubergines, sliced
- salt and pepper
- butter for the form
- 100g feta cheese
- To prepare the crust, whip together butter and Tahini with electric beaters until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue to mix until all ingredients are incorporated well.
- Add flour and using your hands quickly mix until it all comes together into a smooth ball. On a floured surface flatten the dough into a disk, wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to an hour.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Remove dough from refrigerator, spread a sheet of plastic on the counter top, place the dough-disk on top and cover with another sheet of plastic. Now roll the dough between the two sheets of plastic to fit your preferred tart form. Should the dough tear, patch it up with your fingers.
- Line the dough with a sheet of baking paper, fill with dried beans (or pie weights) and blind bake 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 160 degrees C.
- Prepare the filling by mixing together olive oil, crushed garlic, oregano, basil, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl.
- Place the whole cherry tomatoes on one half of a baking tray and arrange the aubergine slices on the other half, then generously drizzle with the flavored oil. The aubergines can be drizzled with an extra portion of the oil, otherwise they might dry out in the oven. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove the tomatoes from the baking sheet, drizzle the aubergine slices with some more oil and place back in the oven for another 45 minutes.
- Arrange the aubergine slices on the base of the crust drizzle with 2 tablespoons Tahini and place cherry tomatoes on top. Re-heat in the oven for 10 minutes. Before serving, crumble some fresh feta cheese over the top.
Notes: After the crust has been baked you can refrigerate it for up to 5 days if not using right away or freeze it for up to 3 months.
All photographs and written content on What's For Lunch, Honey? © 2006-2010 Meeta Khurana unless otherwise indicated. | All rights reserved | If you are interested in using my texts or photographs please contact me | You may not use my work for commercial purposes without my permission | You may not alter, transform, or build upon this work in any form | Please Ask First