| || |
You can rip off the braided pieces to serve as rolls. Think maybe I'll make these for next Thanksgiving instead of rolls to impress.
- 6 C flour
- 2 tsp salt
- package yeast
- 2 C tepid water
- 2 egg yolks
- garlic powder
- powdered sage
2. Combine all the ingredients and knead to smooth elastic texture. If desired you can add garlic powder and sage to wet dough to get an evenly flavored loaf. Cover the dough and leave it to rise for an hour and a half.
3. Punch the dough down. On a lightly floured surface divide the dough into 6 pieces.
4. Roll the pieces out and braid them. Pinch the ends of the loaf together and/or tuck them under. Cover the loaves and leave them to rise a half hour.
5. Preheat the oven to 450. To humidify the oven put a glass casserole dish half full of water in the oven during preheat. Immediately before placing the loaves in to cook remove the dish and splash a small amount of water in the oven.
6. To glaze the bread mix 2 egg yolks with a splash of water and spices if desired. Brush the egg yolk mixture over the loaves.
7. Bake the bread for 30 minutes. During the last 10 minutes loosely place aluminum foil over the loaves to prevent excessive browning.
| || |