OP 20 to show the following energy conversions
a. chemical energy to electrical energy to heat energy
b. electrical energy to magnetic energy to kinetic energy
In this demonstration you will make a small electromagnet using some very common materials.
Can you list the apparatus you will need from the DIagram ?
What do you think the N & S stand for ?
- Take some covered wire, wire with plastic coating on it, leaving about 10cm of wire out at the start, tightly wrap a nail with the wire
- When you get to the end of the nail, secure the wire around the nail with sellotape, attach a crocodile clip to the end of each wire.
- Attach the crocodile clips to the battery
- Bring the nail close to some pins
- Reflect over the experiment what energy conversions have happened during this demonstration?
Chemical Energy → Electrical Energy → Magnetic Potential Energy → Kinetic Energy
c. light energy to electrical energy to kinetic energy
- Connect the fan blade to the low voltage motor, connect up the solar panel (photovoltaic type), to the terminals of the fan
- Bring out to the sun light, turn the panel to face the sun, observe what happens with the motor.
- Turn the panel over, away from the light, observe what happens,
- Experiment with it for a few minutes.
- On reflection what energies have been converted
- Draw out a suitable labelled diagram and mark on it the energy conversions and the location of the changes.
Electrical to light, kinetic, sound, build a circuit
Kinetic to Electric, HydroElectric Power