Key of G. Two parts. The way most people play it, it is mostly in G, but some versions have more D chord. The song offers not much by way of melody but it does make the fiddler work hard for his supper.
- We are partial to the version by Manco Snead [tube], featured in Phillips Collection.
- This is great, too. Lowe Stokes & Riley Puckett [tube].
- The Digital Library of Appalachia has many old recordings [DLA].
- Bill Monroe says, "Let's play it fast... real fast." [tube]
- Great bluegrass by Bobby Hicks [tube].
The first time we performed in North Carolina, an elderly gentleman approached the stage and said, "Let me hear you play Katy Hill." After I said, "I don't know Katy Hill", he said, "If you don't know Katy Hill, you don't know nothing."