Rachel Eddy fiddle, Nadine Landry bass, Ben Nelson banjo, Joe Bass and Trevor Mckenzie guitars.
Crooked tune. Key of D. Two parts.
- Old time fiddle & cello banjo by Wig & Ward [amazon].
- Tune a Day by Katie Henderson [utoob].
- Rather nice jam in the Tune List at Stony Brook [just the mp3].
- Slow solo banjo in C by that great Zepp Music Store guy [utoob].
- Solo fretless banjo picking [utoob and utoob].
- Virtuoso solo fiddling [utoob] at Aaron Jonah Lewis house concert.
- Virtuoso fiddling [utoob] with guitars by Daniel Carwile.
- Fancy version at an old time fiddle contest [utoob]
- Fancy flat picking on a 12-string guitar [utoob]
- Carrie and Larry on fiddle & banjo [utoob] not quite my version.
- Solo banjo in 11/8 time [utoob] which is quite different.
- The late United States Senator from WV, Robert Byrd [utoob].
- We learned the tune from the Primitive Characters CD [amazon, review]. That band included members of the Chicken Chokers plus fiddler Sandy Stark. I can only find one video of her and the quality is a bad video [utoob]. Shucks.
- There is a recording somewhere of Bill Monroe & the Blue Grass Boys playing it real fast during a radio interview. I can't find it online.
There are many DIFFERENT versions of the chords out there. Hold the G for a full measure [here]; hold the G for only half a measure [here]; add two minor chords [here]; two minors and an F# with triplets [pdf].