Foghorn Stringband: Sammy, Caleb, Reeb, Nadine.
Also known as: Cider, Cider Mill, Down to the Cider Mill, Stillhouse, Down to the Stillhouse, Old Stillhouse. Key of D usually. Two parts. The high part is like Liberty. There are versions by Tommy Jarrell, Matokie Slaughter, and Reed Martin and these seem to vary in the second (lower) part.
- Down to the Cider Mill is an album (County 2734) by Fred Cockerham & Tommy Jarrell & Oscar Jenkins. TJ fiddles & sings this tune [clip at allmusic or amazon].
- Beautiful solo banjo [tube] by a student, it says.
- Very clear instructional banjo video [utoob].
- Instructional video [tube] of solo fretless gourd banjo with singing. Key of C.
- Solo banjo [tube] by Jeff Harper playing Reed Martin's version.
- Home made recording of banjo + 2 fiddles [mp3 on fiddle hangout].
- Fiddlers Cahan & Simos & many others, a bit hard to hear [tube].
- Two-finger short-neck fretless banjo by Richard Hood [tube].
- Quirky rendition from Josh Turner [tube] whom we have linked to many times.
- Virginia banjo player Matokie Slaughter plays an interesting series of low notes in the second part. [tube].
- Thanks to this interesting page [banjo hangout] that has lyrics, links, discussion, and even pictures of a cider mill.
- Stillhouse is in the book of banjo tab called "Kyle Creed: Clawhammer Banjo Master" by Bob Carlin & Dan Levenson. We bought the book+CD from Mr. Levenson himself.
- We have Cider Mill on the great CD, "The Galax Way", by the New Ballard's Branch Bogtrotters [County records].