Black Eyed Susan
Gladson Family Band - Black Eyed Susie (key=D)
Key of G or A or D. Sometimes Susan, sometimes Susie. Sometimes two parts, sometimes three. There are several versions of the third part.
- Old banjo singer Roscoe Holcomb on Smithsonian: Mountain Music of Kentucky [scroll down & click to hear a short clip] or hear the whole track [utoob].
- Old fiddlers at Slippery Hill: John Sykes [mp3, key=D], Oscar Jenkins [mp3, key=D], Luther Strong [mp3, key=D], Skillet Lickers [mp3, key=G], JW Day [mp3, key=D].
- Wild fiddling by Prairie Acre [utoob] (key=D).
- Mary Jane Michelle twin fiddles [utoob, key=A].
- Bigfoot Stringband, Clifftop winners (Rhys Jones, John Herrmann, more) [utoob, key=A].
- Old Crow Medicine Show, first album [utoob, key=D].
- Whitetop Mountaineers [utoob, key=C].
- We have this on a compilation CD from Smithsonian Folkways. Scroll down for a clip with Mike Seeger.
- We have this on the "Galax Way" CD by New Ballard's Branch Bogtrotters (key of A). There are no clips on-line. The CD sells for over $100 on some sites. County Sales lists it for $13.50.
- Fiddler Kirk Sutphin [clip on Amazon, key=D].
- Old fiddler J.P. Nestor [mp3 player at The Bristol Sessions] [utoob non-video] 1927 Bristol Sessions.
- Solo fiddle in the bedroom [tube].
- The MidRiffs on stage [tube].
- Named after the Maryland state flower: Rudbeckia hirta.
- Great fretless solo banjo [tube] by Dan Gellert.
- DC Square Dance [utoob, poor audio] with Brauneis fiddling.
- The Old Time Snake Milkers [OTSM] with harmonica.
- Brad Kolodner on fretless gourd banjo [utoob].
LyricsLove my wife, love my baby. Love my biscuits sopped in gravy.Suzie & I went huckleberry picking. She got the berries, I got the lickin'.Hey pretty little black eyed Suzie, hey.All I need to keep me happy, two little boys to call me pappy.One named Sam, other one Davy. I like my biscuits sopped in gravy.Hey pretty little black eyed Suzie, hey.Boys and Sue went blackberry picking. Suzie fell down and she got a lickin'.Some got drunk, some got boozy. I went home with Black Eyed Suzie.Hey pretty little black eyed Suzie, hey.Down the hill and around the hollow. Some old man gonna loose a daughter.All I got is a big silver dollar. See your daddy coming, you let out a holler.Hey pretty little black eyed Suzie, hey.All I need in this creation, pretty little wife and big plantation.Love my wife, love my baby. Love my biscuits sopped in gravy.Hey pretty little black eyed Suzie, hey.
Chicken Train -- Black Eyed Susie (key=A)