Below you will find a collection of published reviews of Nobu's performances that I have come across. As you can see, the positive far outweigh the negative. Nobu, never having been trained at a Western conservatory and not conversant in English, will perhaps never find favor with certain critics. I wrote a piece about that - Nobuyuki Tsujii and Concert Reviewers (March 2014)
- Grieg, Beethoven y Liszt de oído y a ciegas (Grieg, Beethoven and Liszt by Ear and no Sight), JUAN CARLOS TELLECHEA, mundoclasico, March 1 2017. Archived here.
- Nobu Tsujii per la terza volta a Stuttgart (Nobu Tsujii in Stuttgard for the third time), Gianguido Mussomeli, Magazine Musica, Feb 28 2017. Archived here
- Wild im Mondschein, Klaus Kalchschmid, Süddeutsche Zeitung, Feb 26 2017. Archived here.
- Entzauberte Poesie (Disenchanting Poetry) Mannheimer Morgen (Mannheim Morning News) 20.02.2017. Archived here
- Atemberaubend Straßburgs Philharmoniker bei Pro Arte in Mannheim (Breathtaking Strasbourg Philhamonic at Pro Arte in Mannheim) . Gertie Pohlit, Die Rheinpfalz Feb 18 2017. Archived here.
- MANNHEIM / Rosengarten: "NOBU TSUJII-ORCH. PHILH. DE STRASBOURG-MARKO LETONJA" Gerhard Hoffmann Feb 18 2017 Online Merker. Archived here.
- "Nobu Tsujii in Mannheimer Rosengarte" Simon Scherer, Rhein-Neckar-Zeitung (RNZ e-paper) Saturday, 18. February 2017. Archived here.
- "Tasten-Jagd im rasanten Blindflug", Lars Wallerang, WZ (Westdeutsche Zeitung) Friday 17 February 2017. Archived here
- Französisches Orchester begeistert Gert Holtmeyer, RP online Dusseldorf, Germany , 17 February 2017. Archived here.
- le pianiste Nobuyuki Tsujii triomphe dans le concerto de Grieg MARC MUNICH, February 14, 2017. http://www.dna.fr/ . Archived here.
- Das Orchestre Philharmonique de Strasbourg zu Gast am See, von Katharina von Glasenapp, Schwäbische.de, Germany. February 13, 2017. Archived here
- Japanischer Pianist Nobu Tsujii brilliert in Friedrichshafen ,Südkurier Germany. February 13, 2017. Archived here
- Nobuyuki Tsujii, Ashkenazy deliver Beethoven brilliantly, Murray Black, The Australian October 25, 2016. Archived here
- Pianist Nobuyuki Tsujii with Sydney Symphony Orchestra: sublime, Peter McCallum, the Sydney Morning Herald October 23, 2016 - text preserved here
- Beethoven in the wild by Madeline Fortier, The New Criterion, July 08, 2016, excerpt preserved here
- Technical merit high, artistic impression mixed as Nobuyuki Tsujii plays Chopin by David Karlin, March 31 2016, https://bachtrack.com/ (U.K. classical music site)
- Nobuyuki Tsujii with Dresnden Phil March 2016 Reviews A collection of critics' reviews for Nobu's March 2016 performance of Rach 3 with the Dresden Philharmonic in Germany -- 5 performances in 5 days (Berlin, Cologne, Dresden, Munich)
- Reviews: Nobuyuki Tsujii in Munich 2015 a collection of 3 reviews from the major newspapers in Munich, about Nobu's November 4 performance in the Gasteig.
- Il ritorno di Nobu Tsujii a Stuttgart(The return of Nobu Tsujii in Stuttgart), Gianguido Mussomeli , , mozart2006 blog, Nov 3, 2015. English translation here
- Nobu triomphe encore avec l’OSW (Nobu triumphs again with the WSO) Pierre MEUNIER, La Liberte (Manitoba, Canada), June 3 2015. English translation here
- Move over Beethoven: Nobu`s Emperor brilliant Holly Harris , Winnipeg Free Press, May 8 2015. Text preserved here.
- Takng the Fifth , Rebecca D anos (not a critic), blog post on WordPress, May 9 2015. Text preserved here
- MOUNT TSUJII ERUPTS AT THE GREEN MUSIC CENTER Nicki Bell, May 1 2015, Classical Sonoma. Text preserved here
- Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra, Petrenko, review: 'pithy' David Fanning The London Telegraph, 21 Nov 2014. Text preserved here
- Tsujii, RLPO, Petrenko, Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool Glyn Môn Hughes, The Arts Desk 21 November 2014. Text preserved here
- Review: Winter Daydreams/RLPO , Catherine Jones, Liverpool Echo Nov 20, 2014 23:24. Text preserved here.
- RLPO/Petrenko review – subtle tones and a fusion of influences, Alfred Hickling, The Guardian, Friday 21 November 2014 14.56 GMT Preserved here
- Ganz nah an der Musik selbst (Very Close to Music Itself), Michael B. Weiß, Münchner Abendzeitung vom 11.11.2014, S. 18 / Kultur. Text preserved here
- Der blinder Hexenmeister am Klavier (The blind Warlord at the Piano), Christian Euler, Genuss Blog, May 17 2014, English translation here
- Nobu Tsujii a Stuttgart, Gianguido Mussomeli , mozart2006 blog, May 11, 2014. English translation here
- Two exceptional soloists for a concert by the Filarmonica della Scala, Jacini, http://www.giornaledellamusica.it/, March 10, 2014. Text preserved here
- Il metodo Gergiev, Il Corriere Musicale review, Luca Clerics, March 11, 2014. Text preserved here.
- Pianist Nobuyuki Tsujii makes magic with Orpheus at Williams Center, The Morning Call (Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania, U.S.A.), Philip A. Metzger, January 29, 2014. Text preserved here
- Tsujii and Orpheus Crown the “Emperor" http://www.classicstoday.com/, David Hurwitz , January 26, 2014. Text preserved here
- Orpheus Chamber Orchestra, an Unconventional Performance of Beethoven, Epoch Times (New York, U.S.A.), Amelia Pang, 1/26/2014. Text preserved here
- Taking on Beethoven, With an Assist Nobuyoki Tsujii Joined Orpheus Orchestra at Carnegie Hall, New York Times, Zachary Woolfe, 1/26/2014. Text preserved here
- Orpheus orchestra pleases Kravis crowd, Palm Beach Daily News (Florida, U.S.A.), Ken Keaton, 1/21/2014. Text preserved here
- Orpheus Chamber Orchestra delivers revelatory Beethoven at Broward Center, South Florida Classical Review, David Fleshler, 1/21/2014. Text preserved here
- Der blinde Pianist Nobuyuki Tsujii mit Rachmaninows Klavierkonzert Nr. 2 in der Philharmonie, Abendzeitung Muenchen, Robert Braunmüller , November 13, 2013. English translation available here
- Nobuyuki Tsujii's Imposing Debut at the Berlin Chamber Hall, CD Journal (Japan), November 12, 2013. English translation available here.
- Udine - Teatro Nuovo Giovanni: secondo appuntamento della stagione sinfonica (Udine - Teatro Nuovo Giovanni: second round of the symphony season), "OperaClick" quotidiano di informazione operistica e musicale (daily information on operas and musicals), Paolo Locatelli, November 12, 2013.
- Nobu alla tastiera, un miracoloso flusso emotivo (Nobu at the keyboard, a miraculous emotional flow), AL Giovanni da Udine (Italy), Gabriele Giuga, November 11, 2013. English translation available
- Review: BBC Philharmonic @ Bridgewater Hall - Audience loves Japanese pianist Nobuyuki Tsujii, Manchester Evening News, Robert Beale, November 4 2013. English translation available
- Nobuyuki Tsujii performs Grieg with the BBC Philharmonic Bachtrack.com, Rohan Shotton, November 4 2013
- Nobuyuki Tsujii showed signs of Glenn Gould-like brilliance in his interpretation – learned by ear – of Grieg's Piano, Alfred Hickling, the Guardian, Sunday 3 November 2013
- Nobuyuki Tsujii makes impressive Baltimore Symphony debut , Baltimore Sun, Tim Browns, October 20, 2013, text preserved here
- Prom 6: Nobuyuki Tsujii's Proms debut with the BBC Philharmonic and Juanjo Mena, Bachtrack, Alexandra Hamilton-Ayres, July 19, 2013, preserved at 2013 PROMS debut reviews
- Proms 2013: BBC Philharmonic/Mena, Royal Albert Hall - music review, The Evening Standard, Barry Millingto, July 18, 2013, preserved at 2013 PROMS debut reviews
- Prom 6: BBC Philharmonic/Juanjo Mena – A Vision of the Sea & Inextinguishable Symphony – Nobuyuki Tsujii plays Rachmaninov - Classical Source, Colin Anderson, July 17, 2013, preserved at 2013 PROMS debut reviews
- BBC Proms: BBC Philharmonic/Mena – review, Financial Times, Andrew Clark, July 17, 2013, preserved at 2013 PROMS debut reviews
- Prom 6: BBCPhil/Mena – review, the UK Guardian, Erica Jeal, July 17, 2013, preserved at 2013 PROMS debut reviews
- Proms 2013: BBC Philharmonic Orchestra, Albert Hall, review, The UK Telegraph, Ivan Hewett, July 17, 2013, preserved at 2013 PROMS debut reviews
- Classical review: Prom 4 Roth/Les Siecles, Prom 6 Tsujii/Mena/BBC Phil, The UK Independent, Michael Church, July 17, 2013, preserved at 2013 PROMS debut reviews
- Prom 2013, the Classical Reviewer, July 16, 2013, preserved at 2013 PROMS debut reviews
- Nobuyuki Tsujii at White Nights (Blu-Ray) review, Music Web International, Leslie Wright , July 13, 2013, preserved at music_web_white_night_review,
- NOBU-LITY / NOBUYUKI TSUJII Piano Recital / Believe your ears, the Strait Times (Singapore), Chang Tou Liang, June 27, 2013 -- preserved here
- CD Reviews NOBUYUKI TSUJII LIVE AT CARNEGIE HALL, the Strait Times (Singapore), June 20, 2013 -- preserved here
- 佐渡裕指揮BBCフィルハーモニー＋辻井伸行に驚嘆(Yutaka Sado conducts BBC Philharmonic + Nobuyuki Tsujii -- a Marvel) by 笠松泰洋Yasuhiro Kasamatsu, 笠松泰洋の作曲家日記 diary of Composer Yasuhiro Kasamatsu, April 20, 2013 - preserved here,
- Musica e umanità di Nobuyuki Tsujii con Valery Gergiev (Music and Humanity of Nobuyuki Tsujii and Valery Gergiev) by Michele Curnis, OperaGB Opera Magazine, April 11 2013 - preserved on this site here
- Tsujii, prodigi di musicalita per il pianista cieco (Tsujii, the musical Prodigy Blind Pianist) by Paolo Gallarati, La Stampa, April 10, 2013. . Preserved on this site at News from Europe - perserved on this site here
- Nobuyuki Tsujii, lo sguardo dell’altrove (Nobuyuki Tsujii, out of sight), by Attilio Piovano, il Corriere Musicale (the Music Courier) April 10, 2013. Preserved on this site at News from Europe - perserved on this site here
- A Welcome Return by Gregory Sullivan Isaacs, Theater Jones, Feb. 2, 2013. Text preserved here: Fort Worth 2013 Tchai 1 review
- Pianist Nobuyuki Tsujii performed with the Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra Friday night at Bass Hall, by Scotts Cantrell, Dallas News, Feb. 2, 2013. Text preserved here: Fort Worth 2013 Tchai 1 review
- Pianist offers bold and successful interpretation of Tchaikovsky's First at Bass Hall, Star Telegram dfw.com , by Olin Chism, Feb. 1, 2013. Text preserved here: Fort Worth 2013 Tchai 1 review
- A 3-encore night with pianist Nobuyuki Tsujii by Melinda Bargreen, The Seattle Times, January 23, 2013
- Meet the next great pianist WSO in top form as blind phenom visits, Winnipeg Free Press January 18 review, by Gwenda Nemerofsky, Winnipeg Free Press, January 19, 2013. Text preserved here: Winnipeg Free Press January 18 review
- "Review - Nobuyuki Tsujii: Live at Carnegie Hall" , Carnegie debut review - BBC Music Magazine, by Geoff Brown, classicalMusic.com, circa Nov. 20, 2012.
- "Nobuyuki Tsujii: Live at Carnegie Hall Blu-ray Review" Oct. 16, 2012 Carnegie Hall Blu-ray Review, by Lawrence Devoe, Blu-rayDefinition.com, October 16, 2012.
- "Nobuyuki Tsujii Live at Carnegie Hall. Blu-ray review" Carnegie Blu-ray review, culturalmente incorrecto
by Javier Mitchell - posted on http://www.culturalmenteincorrecto.com (Culturally Incorrect), circa October 10, 2012Nobuyuki Tsujii and the Kyoto Symphony Orchestra 「辻井伸行＆京都市交響楽団演奏会」, by music critic Ken Fukumoto 音楽評論家・福本健氏, Kyoto News, 京都新聞 "It was a
splendid performance... I feel the depth in
expression and inspiring richness is somewhat scarce. This would be his
challenge in the future as a musician" (translated from Japanese), circa Sept 21, 2012
- Nobuyuki Tsujii - Live at Carnegie Hall" is MusicWeb-International's Record of the Month: "I’m now utterly convinced Nobuyuki Tsujii is that rarest of creatures, a unique and precious talent that marries technical prowess with daunting levels of insight and flair." Dan Morgan, MusicWeb International, September 12, 2012
- "Carnegie Hall Live" DVD review, Dan Morgan, MusicWeb International, September 6, 2012 "A profound and bewitching talent; inspiring in every way. "
- Nobuyuki Tsuji at the festival "White Nights", Viktor Alexandrov, Radio "Orpheus", July 10, 2012
- More Please: Ashkenazy, Tsujii and Philharmonia Orchestra in Bristol by Alexandra Hamilton-Ayres, May 31 2012. See excerpt here: Nobuyuki Tsujii in England, May 2012
- Incredible, faultless performance by This is Summerset staff writer, May 31, 2012. See excerpt here: Nobuyuki Tsujii in England, May 2012
- Ashkenazy Conducts Russian Music by Colin Clarke May 26, 2012. See excerpt here: Nobuyuki Tsujii in England, May 2012
- Philharmonia Orchestra/Ashkenazy – Shostakovich Babi Yar – Nobuyuki Tsujii plays Prokofiev by Helen Pearce, May 24, 2012. See excerpt here: Nobuyuki Tsujii in England, May 2012
- An uplifting "Babi Yar" Symphony from Aleksashkin and Ashkenazy by David Karlin on 25th May 2012; the review mentions Nobu's performance of Prokofiev no. 3 in passing. See excerpt here: Nobuyuki Tsujii in England, May 2012
- Shostakovich 13th in Brighton by jemmuharrem, May 27. See excerpt here: Nobuyuki Tsujii in England, May 2012
- "Mozart und Prokofjew statt Blumen" by Nicolaus cybinski, Kultur az -- Basellandschaftliche Zeitung,, May 15, 2012. See Nobuyuki Tsujii in Basel, May 2012
- Chopin i Korngold czyli wielcy emigranci w auli UAM, Adam Olaf Gibowski, Poznań.Gazeta.pl, May 20, 2012. See Nobuyuki Tsujii in Poland, May 2012
- Piano Music with Depth by VON LEOPOLD KOGLER. This review appeared in Austrian publication NÖN on Mar 20, 2012, about a recital given by Nobuyuki Tsujii on Friday March 16, 2012 in Weidhofen, Austria. The recital was Nobu's debut in Austria. The original text, English translation and photo of the article are preserved on this site on this page: Nobuyuki Tsujii debuts in Austria, Spring 2012
- Nobuyuki Tsujii: MUSSORGSKY, LISZT on CHALLENGE A review of the 2010"Pictures at an Exhibition" CD album, written by David DeBoor Canfield, Thursday, 15 March 2012, Fanfare magazine. Original article here: http://www.fanfaremag.com/content/view/47816/10254/
- Ein guter Pianist (A Good Pianist) by Norbert Laufer, Mar15, RP Online (A Dusseldorf, Germany publication) Text recorded here: Nobuyuki Tsujii in Germany, March 2012, part 2
- "Nobuyuki Tsujii", blog post by Michael Becker Director of Tonhalle( Dusseldorf, Germany) March 13, text recorded here: Nobuyuki Tsujii in Germany, March 2012, part 2
- Konsequent ernsthaft (Consistent and Earnest), Volker Boser, the Abendzeitung Muenchen website( Munich Evening News) March 08 text captured on this page: Nobuyuki Tsujii in Germany, March 2012
- "A morning in Cortona", la sonata di Nobuyuki Tsujii per Cortona, "A morning in Cortona, Nobuyuki Tsuji's Sonata for Cortona" by Stefano Duranti Poccetti; published online on December 19 2011, Corriere dello Spettacolo (Courier of Entertainment).
- Nobuyuki Tsujii – 8th Wonder of the World!, by Anya Grokhovski, Anna's Musings, November 29, 2011
- Il sogno di Nobuyuki Tsujii, in Italian (English translation provided), by Stefano Duranti Poccetti, Corriere dello Spettacolo (Courier of Entertainment); published online in November 2011, but written about a summer 2010 performance of Nobuyu7ki Tsujii at the Tuscany Sun Festival (see https://sites.google.com/site/nobufans2/miscellaneous/2010-news/news---2/news---3/june-20-2010-with-vladimir-ashkenazy/news-4/news---5/news---6-nobuyuki-at-humboldt-state-u-california/news-7-nobuyuki-in-florida-october-2010/news-8-nobuyuki-at-the-2010-tuscan-sun-festival)
- Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition by Patsy Morita http://www.allmusic.com/album/mussorgsky-pictures-at-an-exhibition-w271135/review (an American website)
- NO BARRIERS: Nobuyuki Tsujii Plays Carnegie Hall Debut Recital
by Paul Shaw, posted on facebook, Nov 15, 2011 Nobuyuki Tsujii 's Carnegie Hall Debut -- Paul Shaw
- A Pianist’s Composition Rounds Off Debut Recital, (a review of Nobu's Carnegie Hall debut recital on Nov 10 2011), New York Times, Nov 14 2011, by Vivien Schweitzer (http://vivienschweitzer.com/ ): NYTimes Review, Carnegie debut. Original article http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/14/arts/music/nobuyuki-tsujii-in-piano-debut-at-carnegie-hall-review.html?_r=1
- Mussorgsky Pictures at an Exhibition, Grammophon Magazine; 11/2011, Jed Distler
- Mussorgsky Album review on classical music network, classical music network, Oct 16, by Gilles d’Heyres
- Pianist Nobuyuki Tsujii Opens Carmel Music Society’s 2011-2012 Season, the Peninsula Review, Oct 10, 2011, by Lyn Bronson, editor http://www.peninsulareviews.com/2011/10/10/pianist-nobuyuki-tsujii-opens-carmel-music-societys-2011-2012-season/
- ConcertoNet.com, in French, part of a review Gilles d’Heyres of albums released in 2011 (Liszt's 200th anniversary) by three young pianists that contains works by the Hungarian composer concertoNet.com_2011
- "Nobuyuki Tsujii, the piano for healing and joy", an article that
appeared in the August 17th, 2011 issue of "Japan Press", written in
- Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No. 2, by Emile Stoffels, Audio en Muziek (Dutch), May 15, 2011: Rachmaninov Concerto No. 2 album - A Dutch Review
- The Young Genius Nobuyuki Tsujii, May 9, 2011, by MaryGrace Johnstone, Sound and Noise (online publication, Alberta, Canada) http://soundnnoise.com/2011/05/09/the-young-genius-nobuyuki-tsujii/
- Concert review: The ESO, with guest conductor Jean-Marie Zeitouni and Nobuyuki Tsujii. the Edmonton Journal,
April 30, 2011 1:03 AM, by Tom Murray Edmonton, Canada - April 29,30 2011
- Blind pianist wows Scottsdale audience,by Ashley Vannatta, Arcadia News (Arizona, U.S.A.), April 246, 2011: scottsdale_2011
- Blind Japanese pianist wows sold-out Muhlenberg audience, The Morning Call, April 16, 2011, by Steve Siegel muhlenberg_college_2011
- Bold Soundscape from Pianist Tsujii, Boston Musical Intelligencer, April 10, 2011 , by Michael Rocha: boston_reviews
- REVIEW RECORDING OF THE MONTH (Nobuyuki Tsujii with Yutaka Sado i RACHMANINOV Piano Concerto No.2) Michael Cookson http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2011/Mar11/Rachmaninov_PC2_CC72371.htm
"Tsujii is a force to be reckoned with. He has the innate ability
to communicate his personality into his gripping performances
and he does so with unforced virtuosity."
- Pianist Nobuyuki Tsujii at the Bridgewater Hall, bachtrack.com, February 13, 2011, by Nahoko Gotoh: bbc_philharmonic_manchester_2011
- Chopin • Musto • liszt • beethoven, Nobuyuki Tsujii harmonia mundi/HMU 907505; January 2011, Andrew Fraser
Australia ABC LImelight, limelight-2011
- Review: Hudson Valley Philharmonic in Poughkeepsie James F. Cotter, Times Herald-Record, 10/05//2010 -- text preserved here
- CD Reviews CHOPIN Piano Concerto No.1: The Straits Times, October 2010, Chang Tou: strait_times_cd_2010
- Nobu-mania at the Capitol: St. Petersburg Times, October 25, 2010; news-7 Nobuyuki in Florida, October 2010
- Hudson Valley Philharmonic in Poughkeepsie, Times Herald-Record, October 5, 2010, James F. Cotter: news - 4 (Nobu's October 2010 U.S. Tour)
- Chopin recordings by Cliburn winners: Dallas News, 17 June 2010, Scott Cantrell: chopin_CD_dallas_2010
- Gold-medal pianist wows 'em at Ravinia opener, Chicago Tribune, June 04, 2010, By John von Rhein: 2010_chicago_tribune
- In performance: Nobuyuki Tsujii, Washington Post, May 3, 2010, by Robert Battey: washington_post_2010
- Cliburn winner Nobuyuki Tsujii: Virtuosity beyond reproach, Birmingham News,April 25, 2010, by Michael Huenber: birmingham_news_2010
- Nobuyuki Tsujii, the piano for healing and joy, The Japan Press, November 4, 2009 by Travelman: http://www.japanpress.info/archives/515
- Nobuyuki Tsujii disappoints with too-familiar program at Bass Performance Hall, The Dallas Morning News, September 24, 2009 by Wayne Lee Gay: fortworth-2009
- Aspen Music Festival 2009 by Harvey Steiman (who is he?) http://www.musicweb-international.com/SandH/2009/jul-dec09/aspen2707.htm Both Nobu and his Cliburn co-medalist performed. This reviewer opined that "Zhang came off as the more musical, more accomplished, more poetic
pianist of the two, by a wide margin."
- "What was the Jury thinking" byBenjamin Ivry June 10, 2009 The Wall St. Journal http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB124458728669699751 preserved at 2009 WSJ article