Spinach Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing
- Baby spinach, trimmed
- 2 hard boiled eggs, sliced
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced very thin
- 4-6 large white button mushrooms, sliced
- 8 slices of bacon, cooked crisp and chopped
- 3 tablespoons bacon fat, reserved
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
Wash, dry, trim the stems and chill the baby spinach. Fry the bacon until browned and crisp. Drain on paper towels and reserve. Reserve 3 tablespoons of the bacon fat.
Hard boil the eggs and slice. Slice the onion into thin, long ribbons. Slice the mushrooms.
Make the dressing by warming the bacon fat gently over medium-low heat. Whisk in the vinegar, sugar and mustard. Stir in the sliced onions so they wilt a little. Remove from the heat.
In a large bowl toss the spinach, chopped bacon, mushrooms, and onion. Pour the warm dressing over the salad and toss well to combine. Divide the salad among the serving plates and top with the sliced egg. Season to taste with salt and pepper.