Pasta with Chicken Sausage and Spinach
- 1 pound basil mozzarella flavored chicken sausage, cut into chunks
- 1 lb package bow tie pasta
- 1 6-ounce bag of fresh baby spinach
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup white wine, like Pinot Grigio
- 2 Tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add the sausage and brown. Meanwhile, cook the bow tie pasta per the package directions, but for half the recommended time. Remove the sausage from the pan with a slotted spoon. Add the chopped garlic and red pepper flakes to the pan and cook for 1 minute. Add the wine, stirring to loosen any bits on the bottom of the pan. Add the crushed tomatoes and salt and pepper to taste. Bring the sauce to a boil.
Scoop 1 cup of pasta water from the pasta pan and add it to the sauce. Drain the pasta and add it all at once to the skillet with the tomato sauce. Add the sausage and basil and stir to combine. Add the spinach and cover the pan to encourage the spinach to wilt. After a minute stir the spinach into the pasta. Reduce the heat to low, cover and continue cooking about 5 more minutes until the pasta is tender. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve.