Chicken and Chokes
- 1 pound box rigatoni
- 1 pound chicken sausage links, any flavor
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced
- 1 medium red pepper, sliced into strips
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 can pitted black olives, sliced in half
- 1 can artichoke hearts, drained and cut in half
- 1/2 cup white wine, Pinot Grigio
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Grated Parmesan, optional
Cook the rigatoni per the box directions. While the rigatoni is heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat in a large pan with a lid. Brown the sausages until they have a nice golden color. remove them to a plate. Add the onion, red pepper, salt and pepper to the pan, cooking for about 5 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for about 1 minute. Add the tomato paste, stirring to cook the paste, about 1 minute.
Add the white wine, stirring to loosen any little bits that might be stuck to the bottom of the pan. Cook for a minute, or two, and then add the artichoke hearts, black olives and crushed tomatoes. Cook until bubbly. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
Cut the sausage links on the diagonal and add to the pan. Cover the pan and let the sausage and sauce simmer together for 5 to 10 minutes. Add the rigatoni to the pan and stir to combine. Add the spinach, cover the pan and cook until the spinach wilts, about 3 minutes. Stir the spinach into the sauce. Top with the chopped parsley.
Serve, topped with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.