Caramelized Onion Dip
- 4 large yellow onions, halved and sliced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (or 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter and 2 Tablespoons olive oil)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temp
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
Cut onions in half and slice thinly. Heat butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onions, cayenne, salt & pepper and saute for 10 minutes, until softened and translucent. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook the onions, stirring occasionally for 20-40 minutes more, until onions are deeply browned and caramelized. Don't rush the cooking. Cool the onions completely.
Beat cream cheese, sour cream, and mayonnaise together until smooth. Add the cooled onion mixture to the cream cheese mixture and mix well.
Chill for a couple hours, or overnight prior to serving. This dip gets better after sitting in the refrigerator, so make it a day, or more, ahead of when you will serve it. Serve with potato chips, crackers or toasted French bread slices.