Spinach and Kale Soup with Spinach Gremolata
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 strips of bacon, chopped
- 4 ounces white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 cups no-salt chicken broth (I used homemeade)
- 1 pound russet potatoes, cut into bite size pieces
- 7 large kale leaves, center ribs removed and chopped
- 5 ounces of baby spinach, one cup reserved for gremolata
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Gremolata
- 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- zest of one lemon
- 1 clove of garlic grated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 Tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a heavy pot over medium heat. Add the chopped bacon and cook until the fat is rendered. Add the chopped onion, garlic and mushrooms. Season with 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Cook until the onions are tender and transluscent, about 5 minutes.
Add the chicken broth, potatoes, kale and 2 cups of water to the pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer. Cook for 5 minutes.
Add the spinach and lemon juice. Taste for seasoning, adding salt and pepper as needed. I added another 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Cook for 5-10 minutes more. Serve hot, topped with the gremolata and toasted pine nuts.
To make the gremolata: mix 1 cup of the chopped spinach with the lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Toss to combine and set aside.