Red Velvet Cake
- 15 1/2 ounces all-purpose flour (approximately 3 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 13 ounces granulated sugar (approximately 1 3/4 cups)
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon red food coloring
- 1 1/4 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 cup water
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two nine inch cake pans.
In the bowl of your mixer (with a paddle attachment) mix the oil, sugar, and buttermilk. Add the eggs, food coloring, vinegar, vanilla, and water. Mix well. Add half the dry ingredients, stir and add the rest, scraping down the sides and mixing just to combine. Don't over mix to avoid making a tough cake.
Pour the batter into the cake pans. Bake for 35-40 minutes until the cake springs back when touched and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting.
- 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 pound confectioners' sugar (3 1/2 cups)
I weighed the sugar using my kitchen scale, but volume measurement will work as well. Set aside.
Cream together the cream cheese, butter and vanilla using your electric mixer and the paddle attachment. Sift the sugar into the cream cheese and butter mixture, mix on medium speed until well combined. Spread a generous amount of the frosting between the layers and on top of the cake. Frosting the sides is optional.