- 2 pounds yellow summer squash
- 7 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, chopped
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 4 slices plain white bread, toasted
- 24 Ritz crackers, crumbed in food processor
- ½ pound sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 2 1/2-quart baking dish. Cut the squash into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Cook in boiling, salted water until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain. Purée in a food processor.
- Melt 6 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and peppers and cook until just tender. Meanwhile, crumb the toast in a food processor, melt remaining butter and toss together.
- Mix the squash purée, onions, peppers, garlic, cracker crumbs and cheese. Stir in the eggs, cream, sugar and seasonings. Blend well. Pour into the baking dish. Top with bread crumbs and bake until browned, about 40 minutes.